ICTA/TCIP/EOI/IC/05/2015-2016: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
Project Name: Transparency Communication Infrastructure Project
CR No. 5092-KE and 4284-KE
Consulting Services (Individual Consultant)
Research And Policy Advisor
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The purpose of Research and Policy Advisor is to provide strategic support to the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology. The Research and Policy Advisor will serve as a special assistant to the Cabinet Secretary in relation to ensure the achievement of the Government ICT initiatives. The role will play a key part in realisation of Government’s “Digital Transformation Agenda” to transform public service delivery across
government and to promote Kenya’s economic development agenda.
The Advisor will work to improve the basic functioning of the Cabinet Secretary’s office through office communication oversight, programs coordination management, and research and policy support. She/he will build strong relationships with numerous counterparts within the Ministry of ICT departments and parastatals and keep abreast with policy discussions and projects to ensure the Cabinet Secretary is on track on the progress of all Ministry initiatives.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provides senior level support and assistance to Cabinet Secretary’s (CS’s) office including preparing for or coordinating the preparation of correspondence and briefing material for meetings and conferences and overseeing activities to prepare the Cabinet Secretary for business in the Cabinet and other public and internal senior level meetings. This involves coordinating the preparation of briefing notes on matters related to policy, legislation, and regulations related to the governments ICT Agenda through Ministerial commitments nationally and internationally.
- Liaison with Head of Departments/delivery managers to enhance information sharing with the CS’s office to ensure coordination and effective management of common priorities and dependencies.
- Coordinate and arrange audiences for the Cabinet Secretary and ensure background research and briefs are prepare for visits of senior officials from outside organizations.
- Conduct and coordinate the day-to-day work of the Cabinet Secretary by providing liaison services with ministry agencies, departments and other government offices.
- In liaison with the Ministry’s parastatal’s and planning department, develop a delivery system to support effective coordination of projects within the Ministry of ICT.
- Organize special briefings for the Cabinet Secretary and or participate in the preparation and detailed processing of substantive input/background materials required for the Cabinet Secretary
- Prepare briefs on specific issues to support the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Information Communication and Technology at meetings, local and international events Compile all relevant travel documents required by the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Information Communication and Technology for both local and international events.
- Under the purview of the Cabinet Secretary, track policy dialogues and develop a working paper series for the Cabinet Secretary to promote and incorporate thought leadership insights in the Cabinet Secretary’s messages, speeches and public appearances.
- Accompany the Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Information Communication and Technology to meetings and conferences and ensure follow-up on matters discussed. Respond to relevant substantive correspondences.
- Follow up on any actions resulting from the Cabinet Secretary’s meetings, local and international events attended.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge And Experience:
For appointment of this position, the candidate must:
- Have a Bachelors and Graduate Degree in Economics, Business Studies, Communication, Information Systems, Public Policy or related field;
- Have a solid understanding of ICT , infrastructure and service projects as well as of regulatory, legal and sector reforms;
- Have strong leadership capacities and a demonstrated record of successful leadership of complex reform processes, preferably with exposure to multi-cultural experiences and practices;
- Have a demonstrated focus on impact and results;
Duration of Contract
Duration of the initial contract will be for eighteen (18) months subject to annual satisfactory performance of the contracted applicant.